Internet connection would be useless if we wouldn't be able to share data. In this lesson, we will introduce you to the functions and predefined constants needed to make PHP create directories, reach PHP downloadable files, and perform other tasks during a PHP FTP connection.
All file sharing works by connecting computers with one another. For that, protocols are used. FTP (which stands for File Transfer Protocol) is a client-server protocol. The functions for working with FTP have been around since PHP 3 (some constants have been introduced in version 4.3, though), but not every file server supports them.
PHP FTP: Main Tips
- PHP FTP functions are meant to allow you to access FTP files servers through PHP script.
- FTP functions can be used in order to login, close connections, upload, rename, delete, download, get info on the what the file server contains. You can also make PHP create directory for your own use.
- To use these functions, you must compile PHP with --enable-ftp. Windows PHP version has inbuilt support for this extension.
- If all you want to do is to read or write to a file in a file server, you can use the wrapper ftp:// along with filesystem functions that are more simple and intuitive.
List of Functions
Take a look at the table below. The functions are listed alphabetically and an explanation for each one is provided. Whenever you need to PHP create directories or PHP download file from server, you can easily choose the function you need from this table:
|ftp_alloc()||Allocate space for file to be uploaded to the FTP server|
|ftp_cdup()||Change to parent directory on FTP server|
|ftp_chdir()||Change current directory on FTP server|
|ftp_chmod()||Set permissions on file via FTP|
|ftp_close()||Close FTP connection|
|ftp_connect()||Open FTP connection|
|ftp_delete()||Delete file on FTP server|
|ftp_exec()||Execute command on FTP server|
|ftp_fget()||PHP download file from server and save into open local file|
|ftp_fput()||Uploads from an open file and saves to file on FTP server|
|ftp_get_option()||Return runtime options of FTP connection|
|ftp_get()||PHP download file from server|
|ftp_login()||Logs in to FTP connection|
|ftp_mdtm()||Return last modified time of specified file|
|ftp_mkdir()||PHP create directory on FTP server|
|ftp_nb_continue()||Continue retrieving/sending file (non-blocking)|
|ftp_nb_fget()||Get PHP downloadable file from server and save into open file (non-blocking)|
|ftp_nb_fput()||Upload from open file and save to file on FTP server (non-blocking)|
|ftp_nb_get()||Get PHP downloadable file from server (non-blocking)|
|ftp_nb_put()||Upload file to FTP server (non-blocking)|
|ftp_nlist()||Return list of files in specified directory on FTP server|
|ftp_pasv()||Turns passive mode on / off|
|ftp_put()||Upload file to FTP server|
|ftp_pwd()||PHP get current directory name|
|ftp_quit()||An alias of ftp_close() function|
|ftp_raw()||Send raw command to FTP server|
|ftp_rawlist()||Return list of files with file information from specified directory|
|ftp_rename()||Rename file or directory on FTP server|
|ftp_rmdir()||Delete empty directory on FTP server|
|ftp_set_option()||Sets runtime options for FTP connection|
|ftp_site()||Send FTP SITE command to FTP server|
|ftp_size()||Return size of specified file|
|ftp_ssl_connect()||Open secure SSL-FTP connection|
|ftp_systype()||Return system type identifier of FTP server|
- Simplistic design (no unnecessary information)
- High-quality courses (even the free ones)
- Variety of features
- Nanodegree programs
- Suitable for enterprises
- Paid certificates of completion
- Professional service
- Flexible timetables
- A variety of features to choose from
- Professional certificates of completion
- University-level courses
- Multiple Online degree programs
- Great user experience
- Offers quality content
- Very transparent with their pricing
- Free certificates of completion
- Focused on data science skills
- Flexible learning timetable
Revelant Predefined Constants
These constants might also prove useful when working with PHP FTP connections. As you can see, all of them are integers (contain numerical values) and work easily since PHP 4.3 was first introduced:
|FTP_ASCII||Int||PHP 3 and newer|
|FTP_TEXT||Int||PHP 3 and newer|
|FTP_BINARY||Int||PHP 3 and newer|
|FTP_IMAGE||Int||PHP 3 and newer|
|FTP_TIMEOUT_SEC||Int||PHP 3 and newer|
|FTP_AUTOSEEK||Int||PHP 4.3 and newer|
|FTP_AUTORESUME||Int||PHP 4.3 and newer|
|FTP_FAILED||Int||PHP 4.3 and newer|
|FTP_FINISHED||Int||PHP 4.3 and newer|
|FTP_MOREDATA||Int||PHP 4.3 and newer|
PHP FTP: Summary
- Using PHP FTP functions in your code, you can reach (upload, download, rename, etc.) files kept in FTP servers or PHP create directory from scratch.
- If you are not using PHP version made for Windows, you will need an extension called --enable-ftp.
- Wrapper ftp:// and simple filesystem functions will do just fine if all you need done with a particular file is reading or writing into it.
- Keep in mind you might get different results using these functions on different file servers.
Latest Udacity Coupon Found:
75% OFF COURSES
Udacity Black Friday Offer
The best time to save on Udacity courses is now - follow this coupon to access a 75% Udacity Black Friday discount & enjoy learning at a very low cost!