TL;DR – In Python, not equal is a comparison operator used to determine if two variables are equal in value.
Using Python not equal
Not equal in Python is one of the comparison operators. It can have one of two return values:
Truemeans one variable in Python does not equal the other
Falsemeans both variables are the same in value
A = 5 B = 5 comparison = A!=B print(comparison)
When comparing variables, you need to take both their values and their datatypes into consideration. In the example below, you can see two integers, both with the value of
A = 5 B = 5 if ( A != B ): print("A is not equal to B")
Now in this next example, you can see two variables with a value of
5 again. However, this time, A is an integer, and B is a string. As a rule, one datatype in Python does not equal a different one:
A = 5 B = "5" if ( A != B ): print("A is not equal to B")
- Simplistic design (no unnecessary information)
- High-quality courses (even the free ones)
- Variety of features
- Nanodegree programs
- Suitable for enterprises
- Paid certificates of completion
- Professional service
- Flexible timetables
- A variety of features to choose from
- Professional certificates of completion
- University-level courses
- Multiple Online degree programs
- Great user experience
- Offers quality content
- Very transparent with their pricing
- Free certificates of completion
- Focused on data science skills
- Flexible learning timetable
The syntax for not equal in Python
There are two ways to write the Python not equal comparison operator:
Most developers recommend sticking with != in Python, because both Python 2 and Python 3 support this syntax. <>, however, is deprecated in Python 3, and only works in older versions:
A != B #working A <> B #deprecated
Python not equal: useful tips
- You can use the not equal Python operator for formatted strings (f-strings), introduced in Python 3.6.
- To return an opposite boolean value, use the equal operator ==.
- Keep in mind that some fonts change != to look like ≠ !
Latest Udacity Coupon Found:
75% OFF COURSES
Udacity Black Friday Offer
The best time to save on Udacity courses is now - follow this coupon to access a 75% Udacity Black Friday discount & enjoy learning at a very low cost!