Table of Contents
- 1 What is the Jaxx Wallet?
- 2 Features and Benefits
- 3 Is Jaxx Wallet Safe? Security Overview
- 4 How to Set up The Jaxx Wallet
- 5 How To Use The Jaxx Wallet
- 6 Conclusion
What is the Jaxx Wallet?Jaxx is a digital wallet which allows you to send and receive a range of different cryptocurrencies, as well as providing users with a safe place to store them. The wallet was created in 2014 by Anthony Diiorio, who is one of the co-founders of Ethereum!
The Jaxx wallet is a “Multi-Currency Wallet”, and allows you to store lots of different cryptocurrencies all in the same place. In fact, at the time of writing in June 2017, the Jaxx wallet can store a total of 67 different coins (which I have listed below), with more and more being added all the time. announced that their wallet had been downloaded more 1.2 million times, making it one of the most popular wallets in the market! So, now that you have a good overview of what the Jaxx wallet, the next part of this Jaxx wallet review is going to take a closer look at its main features and benefits.
INTERESTING FACTAccording to a recent Forbes rich list publication, Anthony Diiorio is the 8th richest person in the world of cryptocurrency, with an estimated wealth of between $700 million to $1 billion!
Features and Benefits
Multi-Currency WalletOne of the best features to using the Jaxx wallet is that it stores lots of different cryptocurrencies. As you can see in the list above, this includes popular coins such as Bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Ethereum (ETH). However, it also includes lots of less popular coins like Unicorn Gold (UKG), Storm (STO) and Gnosis (GNO)! This makes it perfect for people who have lots of different cryptocurrencies, because otherwise they would need to store each coin in an individual wallet. Imagine how frustrating it would be if you held BTC, ETH and LTC, but had to download a different wallet for each of them?
Cross-Platform PairingI mentioned earlier all of the different devices you can download the Jaxx wallet on to. Well, Jaxx also have an amazing feature called cross-platform pairing that links all of the wallets together! For example, if you download the Jaxx wallet on to your Android mobile and your desktop, all of your funds are accessible on both devices. This is a great benefit, as if a wallet is not cross-platform pairing, you would only be able to use a single device for your wallet.
Internal Cryptocurrency Exchange
User-friendlinessWith more than one million user downloads, the Jaxx wallet has one of the most user-friendly interfaces available. This is great as it makes it perfect for both beginners and more experienced cryptocurrency users.< As you can see from my screenshot below, the platform has really simple colors, clear text and it is really easy to view your transaction history.
QR ScanningIf you are a fan of convenience, then you will love the QR scanning feature that is available within the Jaxx wallet. Let me explain… Firstly, if you want to withdraw some Bitcoin from a cryptocurrency exchange to your Jaxx wallet, instead of having to enter your long Bitcoin wallet address, you can simply scan the code with your mobile phone! The Jaxx wallet QR scanning feature is also really useful if you want to send someone coins on the go. For example, if you were in a real-world store that accepted cryptocurrency, you could simply scan the shop owner’s device and the Jaxx wallet would make the transfer!
FeesNo matter which device you want to install the wallet on to, the Jaxx wallet is completely free! Bargain. Of course, the Jaxx wallet isn’t in business to lose money, so they make a profit when users exchange cryptocurrencies through the ShapeShift API. When it comes to sending cryptocurrencies to another wallet though, you will only pay the blockchain network fee, which varies depending on the coin and how busy the network is. Jaxx make no money from this.
Is Jaxx Wallet Safe? Security OverviewWhen choosing a cryptocurrency wallet, it is really important to consider how secure it is. It’s always good when a wallet has good features, such as user-friendliness and multi-currency support. However, if the security is weak, then you may need to look elsewhere. So, let’s find out, is Jaxx wallet safe? Personal Control Firstly, when you download the wallet, you will not be asked for any personal information. This is great for those of you who love privacy, and it also means that you, and only you, will have access to your private keys. Never forget, if you lose your private keys, your funds will be gone forever. The Jaxx team never have access to your private keys, as they are held locally on your device. Although this adds an extra level of security, it means that if you were hacked, they would not be able to recover your funds. Backup Seed To further protect your wallet, it is advisable to make a regular backup. This is where you are provided with a seed phrase (like a password), which you can write down for safe keeping. This is great in the case of your device(s) being damaged, as you can use it to restore your wallet keys.
How to Set up The Jaxx WalletIf you have read this Jaxx blockchain wallet review so far, you will know that Jaxx can be installed on most device types. I will now show you how to set it up using the desktop wallet, however the installation process is similar across all device types.
- First, you will need to visit the official Jaxx website and download the correct file for your device type. You can do this using this link here.
- Before your download begins, Jaxx will provide you with a “checksum”. This allows you to verify that the file you are downloading is genuine by matching it with the checksum provided when you install it.
- The download file is approximately 65mb, so depending on your internet speed you may need to wait a few minutes. Once the download has finished, click on the .EXE file.
- Jaxx will now extract the necessary files to your device.
- Once the Jaxx blockchain wallet is installed, you will see the following platform. By default, your screen will show you details about your Bitcoin wallet. This includes your personal wallet address, balance, U.S. dollar equivalent and your QR code.
- The Jaxx wallet allows you to store more than 67 different coins. So, let’s find out how to check a different cryptocurrency – I’m going to look for Civic (CVC).
- Click on the menu icon at the top right of your wallet.
- Scroll down and look for the cryptocurrency you want to check. As you can see, Civic (CVC) is not ticked, so I need to tick the box.
- Next, at the top of the wallet, click on the small arrow (pointing right).
- Keep clicking the arrow until you see the cryptocurrency you want. Once you do, click on it.
- As you can see from the screenshot below, you can now see all of the required information for your chosen coin.
How To Use The Jaxx Wallet
- First, you need to find the cryptocurrency that you want to send. Don’t forget, you might need to make sure that the box is ticked in the settings menu (step 8 above).
- In my example, I am going to send Ethereum. Click on the Send button at the top of the screen.
- A box will then appear, which is where you need to enter the wallet address that you want to send the coins.
- Here you have two options. Either copy and paste your desired address here, or if you are using a mobile phone device, then you can click on the barcode image and take a photo of the receiver’s barcode which will automatically enter the full wallet address.
- Finally, enter the amount of coins you want to send and click Send. As you can see in the screenshot below, when you enter the amount cryptocurrency you want to send, the U.S. equivalent will update.
Receiving FundsIf you are looking to receive funds into your Jaxx wallet, there is a really cool feature that allows you to generate a QR code with the exact amount – I’ll show you how below. However, if you are not looking to use a QR code, then simply hit receive, copy your receive (public) address and then send it to the person sending you coins.
- At the top of the screen, click on Receive. As I used Ethereum (ETH) in my previous example, I will use it again. Don’t forget to change it to the cryptocurrency you want to receive before doing this.
- Next, enter the amount of coins you want to receive. As you will see in the screenshot below, the U.S. dollar equivalent updates. If the amounts look right, click on the green Generate button.
- The Jaxx wallet will now show you a unique barcode. If somebody scans it, their wallet will know that it needs to send 2ETH to your Jaxx wallet! This is really useful if you need to send funds from a third-party exchange to your Jaxx blockchain wallet!