Hello, crypto student! I hear you’re looking to buy Litecoin with a credit card or debit card?
Litecoin is one of the most popular cryptocurrencies in the world and some people even call it the “Silver to Bitcoin’s Gold”! In late 2017 the coin experienced its all-time high, reaching $20 billion in market capitalization!
As a result, it is now possible to buy Litecoin at hundreds of different cryptocurrency exchanges. However, only a few of them accept a credit card. To help you along your way, I’m going to show you five of the very best options available and guide you through the process of using them to buy Litecoin with credit card/debit card!
So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Where Can You Buy Litecoin with Credit Card/Debit Card?
First up is the most popular option in town — Coinbase!
Latest Binance Coupon Found:
GET 20% OFF
Binance Holiday Sale
You can now save up to 20% off trading fees in this Binance Holiday Sale. Follow the link & save now while the offer is still valid!
Coinbase is a cryptocurrency broker that allows you to buy and sell four different coins. These are Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum and of course – Litecoin! Based in San Francisco, the platform was first launched in 2012.
The ultimate aim of Coinbase is to provide a really simple and user-friendly exchange for people to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. Therefore, there is no need to have any prior knowledge of trading to use the platform.
One of the biggest advantages of using Coinbase is that they allow you to deposit and withdraw funds using a range of real-world payment methods. Guess what? This means you can buy Litecoin with a credit card, debit card, and even a bank account!
The fees to using a credit/debit card amount to 3.99% of the total transaction amount. For example, if you deposit $1,000, then you will have to pay $39.99 in fees. Although this is quite high, Coinbase has to do this to protect itself from credit card chargebacks.
Although trading fees cost 1.49% every time you buy a coin, Coinbase does offer one of the best market prices in the industry. Just remember that although you can deposit and buy Litecoin with a credit card or debit card, you can’t withdraw your funds back to your card. Instead, you will need to use a bank account.
When you first register an account at Coinbase, you will need to provide the exchange with some personal details like your full name and nationality. You will also need to upload a copy of your ID, which can be either a Passport, Driving License or National ID Card. Don’t worry, it only takes about 5 minutes to open as the verification process is automated!
When it comes to security, Coinbase is one of the safest exchanges to trade. 98% of customer funds are held in cold storage, two-factor authentication is available and if holding them in a USD wallet, funds are protected up to $250,000. Furthermore, other features such as a 48 hour withdraw time-lock and multi-person signatures are also available.
Before moving on, let me quickly summarize the advantages and disadvantages of using Coinbase to buy Litecoin with a debit card or credit card.
- Easy to sign up
- Accepts credit/debit card and bank account
- Coins can be purchased instantly
- Excellent security
- Customer funds held in USD wallet covered dup to $250,000
- Very user-friendly
- Fees quite expensive
- Can’t withdraw back to credit or debit card
So now that you know about the pros and cons of Coinbase, the next part of my ‘Buy Litecoin with credit card’ is going to look at Coinmama.
Coinmama is a cryptocurrency broker based in Israel. Created in 2013, they allow users to buy a total of eight different cryptocurrencies. This includes Litecoin, along with Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Bitcoin Cash, Cardano, QTUM and Ethereum Classic.
According to the team, more than 1,000,000 customers across 188 different nations have used Coinmama, making them a really popular exchange!
Just like Coinbase, Coinmama allows you to buy Litecoin with a credit card or debit card. However, they don't allow you to use a bank account. Coinmama is slightly different from other exchanges because as soon as you have completed your purchase, the Litecoin is sent directly to your wallet!
When it comes to fees, Coinmama is quite expensive. You will need to pay a 5.5% transaction fee when using your credit card to buy Litecoin and a 5.9% trading fee for every purchase you make.
Before you are allowed to buy Litecoin at Coinmama, you will be required to verify your identity. To do this you need to:
 Upload a copy of your ID
 Upload a selfie of you holding the ID with a note that displays 'Coinmama' and the date
Although each document needs to be verified manually, Coinmama usually only takes about 10 minutes, which is fast!
Just remember, unlike Coinbase, you won’t be able to immediately sell coins back for real-world money, as Coinmama automatically send your coins to your wallet as soon as you pay for them. Instead, you would need to send them from your wallet to a platform like Coinbase that allows you to sell for fiat currency.
Here’s a quick summary of the advantages and disadvantages of buying Litecoin with a credit card at Coinmama.
- Accepts both credit cards and debit cards
- Eight different coins available to buy
- Most countries accepted
- Fast verification
- Fees very expensive
- Unable to sell coins back to Coinmama
So now that you know about Coinmama, the next exchange on my ‘Buy Litecoin with a debit card or credit card’ list is Bitpanda!
Bitpanda, which was initially known as Coinimal before it rebranded, was first launched in 2014. The platform allows users to buy and sell a range of cryptocurrencies and the exchange is primarily targeted to European customers.
Available cryptocurrencies include Litecoin, along with Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dash, Bitcoin Cash, and Ripple. One of the greatest features of the Bitpanda platform is that they have one of the largest payment method options.
This, of course, includes a credit card, however, they also accept Skrill, OKPAY, SEPA, Neteller, GiroPay, EPS and SOFORT!
When it comes to fees, you will have to pay a 5% transaction fee for depositing funds with your credit card. In terms of trading fees, it costs 1.49% to buy coins at Bitpanda and 1.29% to sell them.
Like all other cryptocurrency exchanges that allow you to use real-world money to deposit you will need to first verify your account. The exchange uses a third party company to verify your ID, however, it is automated which means that it can be activated straight away.
As soon as you have done this, you will be able to buy up to 2,500 EUR worth of cryptocurrency every 24 hours! To help further protect your account, Bitpanda also allows you to set up two-factor authentication.
Let’s have a quick look at the pros and cons of buying Litecoin with a credit card at Bitpanda!
- Large selection of payment methods include credit card and debit card
- Good fees
- Six coins listed
- Fast verification
- The platform is very user-friendly
- Initial limit of 2,500 EUR
- Only focusing on European customers
- Average security
So now that you know about Bitpanda, the next part of my ‘Buy Litecoin with credit card’ guide is going to look at CEX.
Created in 2013, CEX is a cryptocurrency exchange located in the UK. The platform allows users from all over the world to buy and sell nine different coins.
This includes Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Dash, Ripple, ZCash, Stellar Lumens, Bitcoin Gold and of course — Litecoin! Just like the other exchange brokers I have mentioned, CEX allows you to use a credit card or debit card to fund your account.
Just to let you know, the CEX platform uses something called 'Fill-or-Kill'. What this means is that the order is either completed in full, or it is canceled. Let' I give you a quick example.
- Billy places an order for 10 Litecoin at $150/LTC.
- The system will lock this price for 120 seconds.
- If there are enough orders to allow Billy to get all of his 10 Litecoin at $150/LTC, then the order is executed immediately.
- If 120 seconds pass and there aren’t enough orders, then the order is canceled.
However, unless you are trading really large amounts, this shouldn’t be an issue and you probably won’t even notice what is going on as everything is done in the background!
When it comes to depositing fees at CEX, the exchange will charge you 3.5% every time you use your credit card. On top of this, they also add a small fixed-fee of $0.25. CEX also charge a trading fee of 7%, which is added on to the current market price.
As you are using your credit card to buy Litecoin, you will need to verify your identity before you can deposit. Just like Coinmama, you will need to upload a copy of your ID, as well as a picture of you holding it up next to your face!
Unfortunately, the time it takes for the team to manually verify your identity is quite slow, with users commenting that it normally 48 hours. If you need to buy Litecoin with a credit card straight away, then CEX might not be the right exchange for you!
The platform is probably best suited for more experienced cryptocurrency traders, as the website offers a wide range of trading tools that a beginner might not understand.
In terms of security, CEX store the majority of user funds in cold storage, meaning they are held offline. Furthermore, not only is two-factor authentication available, but users can also request account alerts through email or SMS. There has only been one slight issue regarding security, with a 2013 hack resulting in one user having $7,000 stolen from their account. However, there have been no issues since.
Here's a list of the exchange’s advantages and disadvantages.
- Accepts credit card and debit cards
- Good trading volume
- Nine different coins listed
- Apart from a small 2013 hack, excellent security
- Slow verification with lots of documents required
- High fees
- Best for more experienced traders
So now that you know about CEX, the final exchange from my ‘Buy Litecoin with a debit card or credit card’ guide is BitStamp!
Created as far back as 2011, Bitstamp is a cryptocurrency exchange that allows people to buy, sell and trade a range of digital coins. Originally starting in Slovenia, the platform now has offices in the UK, as well as Luxemburg. The exchange handles hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of trading every day, making it one of the largest in the industry.
When it comes to payment methods, Bitstamp has a range of real-world fiat options available. This includes a bank transfer, as well as a credit or debit card. When using your credit card on Bitstamp you will be charged 5% of the total transaction amount.
In terms of trading fees, this starts at 0.25% for those trading less than $20,000 per month, all the way down to 0.10% for monthly trades of $20 million or more.
To be able to use fiat currency at Bitstamp you will need to first verify your account. This will require you upload a government-issued ID, proof of residence (like a bank statement) and to confirm your phone number. According to the team, it can take up to 24 hours for your account to be verified.
Security is also very good at Bitstamp, with the exchange keeping the majority of funds in cold storage. Just like Coinbase, they also protect U.S. dollar accounts with FDIC.
Before moving on to the next part of my ‘Buy Litecoin with credit card’ guide, I thought I would quickly summarize the advantages and disadvantages of trading Litecoin at Bitstamp.
- Accepts credit/debit cards and bank account deposits
- Lots of liquidity
- Around since 2011
- Good security
- Reasonable fees
- Slow verification
- More suited for intermediate and advanced users
So, there you go! Five different exchanges that will allow you to buy Litecoin with a credit card! I am now going to give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it with each of them!
How to Buy Litecoin with Credit/Debit Card
Again, as we begin the purchasing tutorials, first up is Coinbase!
- Visit the Coinbase website by clicking here.
- Open an account. Here you will need to enter your details. Make sure these are correct as you will need to verify them in the next step!
- Now enter your credit or debit card details. The billing address must match your home address.
- You will now need to provide Coinbase with your government-issued ID. You can do this by holding it up to your webcam or upload it as a PDF.
- Your account should be verified instantly!
- Now click on Buy/Sell.
- Click on Now scroll down and enter the amount of Litecoin you want to buy. Then click on Buy Litecoin Instantly.
- Finally, confirm your credit/debit card number and that’s it – you’ve just bought Litecoin!
So now you know how to buy Litecoin with a credit card at Coinbase, let’s look at Coinmama.
- First, visit the official Coinmama website by clicking my link here.
- Click on Register and enter your details. Don’t forget, you will need to verify your identity so make sure you enter them correctly!
- Once you have confirmed your email address you will be asked to upload your verification documents. Upload a PDF of your passport or driving license. After that, take a photo of you holding your ID next to your face, along with a note saying ‘COINMAMA’ with today’s date. Make sure that the quality of the photo is clear, otherwise, Coinmama will ask you to upload new copies.
- Your documents should be verified within 10 minutes. Check your emails!
- Now you are set up, you are ready to buy Litecoin with a credit card. On the left of the screen, click on Buy Litecoin.
- Select the currency you want to play with and then choose your package, followed by Buy Now.
- You will then be asked to enter your credit card details. You will also need to enter the Litecoin wallet address that you want your coins sent to!
- As soon as the transaction is submitted, your coins will be sent directly to your Litecoin wallet!
So now you know how to buy Litecoin with a credit card at Coinmama, let’s look at Bitpanda.
- First, you need to visit the official Bitpanda website by clicking my link here.
- Click on Sign Up at the top of the page and follow the account opening process. You will need to enter some personal details such as your full name, nationality, and address!
- You will then be re-directed to a third party website, who will verify your identity. Hold your passport up to your web camera and then the system will automatically verify it!
- Once you are taken back to Bitpanda, go to the payment section.
- Now select Litecoin, followed by Visa/MasterCard. You also need to specify how much you want to buy in your local currency. Remember, you can buy up to 2,500 EUR on your first purchase!
- Enter your credit card details, check the amount and then confirm the transaction. That’s it!
- First, you need to visit the CEX website which you can do by clicking on my link here.
- Click on Register at the top of the page and follow the account opening instructions.
- You now need to go through the CEX verification process. It’s a bit more complex than other platforms, so listen carefully! Firstly, you need to upload a copy of your ID. After that, you then need to enter your credit card details. After that, you then need to take a selfie of you holding your credit card! Finally, you then need to take a photo of your credit card next to your ID!
- There’s still one more step I’m afraid! CEX will charge a very small amount from your credit card. Check your online credit card statement and enter the exact amount that was charged. That’s it, your account is now verified and you are ready to buy Litecoin with a credit card!
- Now, click on Deposit.
- At the top of the screen click on Buy/Sell. Select Litecoin and your preferred deposit currency.
- Scroll down and enter the number of coins you want to buy.
- Finally, click on the green Buy button and your transaction will go through immediately as you have already verified your card!
So now you know how to buy Litecoin with a credit card at Bitpanda, let’s look at BitStamp!
- Visit the official BitStamp website by clicking on my link here.
- Click on Create Account and enter your details.
- You will then need to submit your identity documents. This needs to be a government-issued ID and a proof of address. Unfortunately, you will need to wait up to 24 hours before the team verifies your account, so you won’t be able to do anything until you receive a confirmation email.
- Once you receive the email confirming your verification, you can log can into your account. Then click on Deposit.
- Select Litecoin from the list of cryptocurrencies, followed by your preferred fiat currency (USD or EUR).
- Next, select how many coins you want to buy.
- Finally, enter your credit card details and click on submit! Your Litecoin will now be available within your BitStamp balance.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my ‘Buy Litecoin with credit card’ guide! Each of the exchanges we’ve discussed has its advantages and disadvantages, which is why I wanted to give you plenty to choose from!
Litecoin is one of the most traded cryptocurrencies in the industry, so it makes sense that more and more exchanges are looking to offer credit card services. This makes it easy to buy Litecoin for the first time.
Other cryptocurrencies aren’t so lucky, as you have to first buy another cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or Ethereum and then exchange it for the coin that you want!
The only problem at the moment is that using a credit card to buy Litecoin can be a bit too expensive. Not only do you have to pay a credit card transaction fee, but then you have to pay trading fees too!
I also get a bit annoyed when I have to take selfies just to verify my account!
Which exchange did you end up buying Litecoin with? Did the verification process go smoothly? Let me know about your experiences in the comments section below!