You will learn all you need to know about building 2D games in Unity 2018. This Unity 2D tutorial covers working in the engine, GameObjects & Components in detail, in addition to many coding topics, and building art assets from a technical perspective. You will also learn about several useful external tools for creating games as well, such as Pyxel Edit, BFXR, etc.
Here Is How to Make a Game with Unity
This is the list of topics you will learn in Unity 2D tutorial:
- 2D kinematic game physics and rigidbodies
- How to add, use and manipulate components on game objects
- The workflows of Unity and how to accomplish tasks efficiently
- How to save and load data via a few different formats including XML and binary
- How to create and navigate between menu using the UI components available inside of Unity
- How to develop on-demand AudioSources to play sounds and music. Keep the audio going even when changing scenes.
- C# scripting within the Unity Engine
- How to use tile mapping to create 2D game maps with easy collisions in the latest versions of Unity
- Creating singleton manager scripts to manage functions that should exist everywhere in the game without manually adding a game object to every scene
- Make a giant fireball projectile using some free assets
- Odin Inspector - a Premium addon that makes it easy to design inspectors for your scripts so designers can make changes to your game and also opens up serialization for important C# objects like Dictionaries
- Managing character inventories including items and money
- How to use Unity to create rigidbody dynamic game physics for those who want a more modern take on 2D games like platformers and puzzle games (think Angry Birds)
- Having a stateful game that remembers where everything was when the player leaves the scene and comes back. If you defeated a boss, you don't want him to suddenly reappear the next time the scene loads, right?
- Using scriptable objects to store important game data in a game project file and using those scriptable objects inside your MonoBehaviour scripts
- How to properly check for collissions
for both Kinematic movements and events (like pressing the space bar / enter key)
- How to make custom events that let you set delegates inside the Unity inspector (UnityEvents & Unity Actions)Managing your prefabs and using Nested Prefabs (new and handy feature)
- How to create enemy spawn scripts that overwhelm your player with hordes of baddies, or how to set a trap event, or start a boss fight.
All this and more on unity game development!
Don't Do Mistakes, Better Learn from Mine
I will keep updating this Unity 2D tutorial for future versions of Unity to come. All of my knowledge of Unity comes from the lessons I have learned when creating my own games. So this is an excellent opportunity to learn Unity by learning from my mistakes!
Take this course, a one-stop show for beginner-intermedia concept in crafting 2D games from scratch with Unity 2018.