What You Will Learn?
- How to create interactive computer graphics for the web
- An alternative way to develop Android apps
- An introduction to computer science
In this Processing tutorial, you will learn how to create simple interactive graphics with Processing language. Despite its simplicity, Processing is a powerful tool. With it you can produce interactive animations for the web, Android apps and you can translate it into other programming languages.
Here Is a List of What You Will Learn in This Course
This Processing tutorial is an introductory course to the vast possibilities of the language. You won't need any previous knowledge of computer science to follow it.
What you will learn:
- you will draw simple geometric shapes on the screen (ellipses, arcs, rectangles, lines)
- you will choose the size of the canvas, create animations and adjust their speed
- you will learn about variables and functions
- you will draw using different overlapping levels
- you will learn about smoothing
- you will translate and rotate the images
- you will control the stroke and the fill of our images
- you will explore the RGB (Red, Green and Blue) codification of colors
- you will learn about the loop and how to make selections between different choices
- you will load external images and create vectorial images and use different fonts preloading them
- you will use the keyboard and mouse to control the animations
- you will export images to pdf and other formats
Processing Is a Gateway Programming Language
The Processing programming language is a sort of Java dialect - a simpler way to approach computer science. So if you are ever involved in complex projects in the future, much of the knowledge you’ll acquire in this course will be useful and reusable.
I have experience as an (offline) computer science teacher and I can attest that this is one of the best ways to begin learning to code. I have also been a Web Master and Processing is far simpler and straightforward for producing interactive graphics for the web than the alternatives.
If you have a general understanding of programming, this language will speed up your processes. It’s the easiest solution when it’s necessary to produce interactive graphics for the web.
Knowing Graphics Programming Opens Many Doors
If you know Java you can add elements to the new concepts introduced here. You can create functions, classes and so on. Learn Processing and you will be able to export the code to different languages with minor changes.
If you are a teacher, Processing is the simplest textual computer science language out there. Introduce it as the first textual computer science language to teach in your course and then you will be able to teach Java as an upgrade. So even if you teach, this online computer graphics course is a great tool to get acquainted with Processing.
Processing Tutorial for a Beginner
This course is designed to be easy - as easy as possible. While studying, try to experiment. Change the parameters of the examples. Don’t worry, I'll guide you all the way through. You will always be able to restart and use the code from the examples.
- Enthusiasm and drive to learn
- Interest in programming
- No special software or hardware required